Sermon: David Bridges
“Searching and Celebrating”
CONGRATULATIONS to Cletis and Pam Rogers on the birth of their new granddaughter! Lily June Rogers was born to Caylon and Sarah on March 15th. Mother and baby are both doing well!
GREEN FRIENDS CLEAR CREEK CLEANUP has been rescheduled for Saturday, April 15th. Help clean up our environment – join us for a morning of trash pick up along a part of Clear Creek here in Friendswood. We will walk the banks, so wear rubber boots and bring gloves. Meet in the church parking lot at 8:30; we’ll be back before noon. If you plan to come, please RSVP to Mark so that you can be notified of any weather-related cancellation. If you can bring a pickup truck, please let Mark know about that as well.
COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS for the 2017-2018 Patricia Spencer Allen Scholarship are now available. Graduating high school seniors as well as continuing undergraduate college students are invited to apply. If you are interested in applying, stop by the church office to pick up an application packet, or you can download the forms from our church website. The deadline for submitting applications is Monday, May 1st.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR for Sunday, April 2nd. Emmanuel Favor, the new Executive Director of Family Promise, will lead a volunteer training session for those from our church and several other area churches who are interested in serving as volunteers in the Family Promise Ministry. Please join us from 2 – 3:30 p.m. in the Coffee Café. This training is not required in order to be able to volunteer, but will be very helpful in letting you know what to expect and how to best serve the families that we will be hosting. If your small group or Sunday School class is considering the possibility of volunteering as a group to cover one evening, we strongly encourage you to find at least one person from your group who can attend this training session. Contact Desiree Trevino or Beth Skeeter if you have questions.
A BOOK DISCUSSION on the book “Just Mercy” will be held on Wednesday, April 5th at 6:30 p.m. in the Parlor. If you have recently read the book and would like to dialogue with others about their thoughts, please join us! There are a few more copies of “Just Mercy” available on the kiosk; please leave your $10 payment in the basket next to the books.
LADIES – You are invited to the Women’s Ministry Easter Craft Night on Wednesday, April 5th. We’ll meet at 6:30 p.m. in the Coffee Café to enjoy light refreshments, conversation and laughter while working on Easter crafts – your choice of a cross or Easter bunny. Please RSVP to Kody Shepherd by March 26th and specify whether you’d like the cross or bunny design. The cost is $35. Invite your friends and neighbors and plan to join us for this fun evening of spending time together and being creative!
HURRY! SPACE IS GETTING LIMITED for our 2017 Vacation Bible School, which will take place from 9 a.m. to noon on June 26th – 30th. VBS is open to children from age 3 through completing 5th grade. The $20 registration fee for our FFC family members ($25 for non-members) includes a VBS T-shirt, daily snacks, crafts and games, water day, songs, stories, and making new friends. Pick up a registration form on the kiosk or at the church office. VBS VOLUNTEERS: It takes over 100 volunteers to put on our VBS, so junior and senior high students and adults are encouraged to consider helping out. Adult and youth volunteers may pick up registration forms on the kiosk or in the church office. Please contact Janet Black for more information.
DUDE CAMP 2017 Super Heroes is coming up from June 1st through 4th. Students finishing 3rd through 5th grade will travel by charter bus to Forest Glen/Spring Christian Camp (near Rosebud, TX) for an amazing time of games, swimming, hiking, singing, and lots of other great activities. The cost is $275 (FFC attenders receive a $50 scholarship); register with your $50 deposit by April 10th. For registrations after the 10th, pay the entire $275. Pick up a registration form from the kiosk or the church office and plan to join us for a great time of having fun and learning about God. Please contact Janet Black with any questions.
SAVE THE DATE – Clear Creek Family Promise will be holding a fundraiser golf tournament at Clear Creek Golf Club in Pearland on Saturday, May 13th. More information will be available soon!
FAMILY PROMISE will be up and running very soon! Thank you so much for your prayers and support during this time of transition. Our first week to host is April 16th-23rd. Now that we are ready to begin receiving families, there will be many different ways for you to get involved. Here are some of the ways that you can be a part of this ministry:
- We will serve supper to our guests at 6 p.m. each evening, so volunteers are needed to help provide meals. We would love to have some of the Sunday School classes and small groups that are part of our congregation consider working together to take responsibility for one evening, but help from individuals is also welcome.
- After dinner, the families have free time for relaxing, playing in the gym, doing homework, playing games, etc. Volunteers who are present during this time would possibly get involved in helping with homework, talking with our guests and/or playing with the children.
- Two adults from our congregation are required to stay overnight at the church each night that we host families, so volunteers are needed for that. You would be free to leave once the families depart at 6 a.m.
- Help is needed with set up and tear down, as several of our Sunday School classrooms will be rearranged in order to set up beds. For this first week of hosting, much of the set up will need to take place the afternoon of Easter Sunday, so if you have some time available your help would be greatly appreciated! Some of the set up will also take place on Saturday, April 15th. Tear down help will be needed the morning of April 23rd, to get our classrooms ready for Sunday School once our guests leave.
- Donations of new or gently used bedding are needed – a few twin size sheets and some lightweight velour blankets.
Our FFC Family Promise Coordinators, Desiree Trevino and Beth Skeeter, will be available following both services today to answer your questions and take sign-ups for the various volunteer needs.