Sermon: David Bridges
“Wondering About Easter News”
EPHESIANS 1:19-20 – I pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for us who believe him. This is the same mighty power that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honor at God’s right hand in the heavenly realms. (NLV)
WELCOME! We are glad that you have joined us this morning for worship and to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ! Our prayer is that each one of us will experience what the apostle Paul describes in the verses above – the mighty power of God that raised Christ from the dead working in OUR lives to bring salvation and transformation. HE IS RISEN INDEED!
THE FLOWERS ON THE ALTAR TODAY are given in celebration and thankful praise for the Father’s love for us in His gift of eternal life through Christ’s sacrifice of death and resurrection. He is Risen, He is Risen, indeed.
THE CHURCH OFFICE will be closed on Monday, April 17th.
IF YOU ARE VISITING WITH US TODAY or haven’t been here in a while, we encourage you to pick up one of the special packets that the ushers will have available at the close of the service so that you can read about some of the ministries that are going on here at Friendswood Friends! The packet includes information about:
- Our Hopes and Commitments – How we as a church body are called and committed to Love, Learn and Listen
- Local Mission – We are excited about our involvement with community ministries like Kids’ Hope, Family Promise, Meals on Wheels, Crossroads, Food Pantry, Green Friends, etc.
- World Mission – Learn more about our mission work in India, Rwanda, Indonesia, Hong Kong, China, and other places around the world.
- Children’s Ministry – Find out about summer programs like Dude Camp, Open Gym and VBS as well as school year activities like Tweens & Kids Can Do.
- Youth Ministry – Coming Soon: Wednesday evening study breaks, Swim Party, Camp Quaker Haven, Summer Urban Ministry Trips, Leadership Retreat, etc. There is also information about regular weekly activities during the school year – youth groups, Bible studies, Bible Quiz, and leadership team.
- Women’s Ministry – All ladies are invited to join us for Bible studies, retreats, and summer activities like craft nights & game nights
- Other Classes & Activities for Adults – Sunday School, prayer groups, Bible studies, etc. Also, please visit our website, www.friendswoodfriends.org to get information about the above, along with news and prayer requests.
COMING SOON – A NEW CHURCH DIRECTORY! Many of you have been asking for a photo directory to help you get to know the names of others in our congregation, as well as have access to contact info for things like sympathy cards, invitations, etc. Over the coming months our church office staff will be putting this together. We need your help in two ways. First, we want to be sure that our records of your contact information are correct and up to date. We are asking that you please fill out the directory information form on our church website if possible (this will help to avoid transcription errors). If you do not have access to the website, you can fill out one the printed forms available on the kiosk. Please be careful to write legibly, and return your completed form to the church office or put it in the offering plate. The second thing that we need is a photo of each family, couple or individual. If you have a photo already that you can send to the office in digital format, please email it to email@example.com. These do not have to be professional pictures; a snapshot taken with your phone is great. If you do not have a current photo, we will have a few “picture Sundays” during May when people will be available to take a quick picture of you after the service – watch for more information. Thank you for helping us to create this directory, which we hope will be helpful in bringing us closer together as a community of faith.
CLEAR CREEK FAMILY PROMISE will be holding a charity golf tournament at Clear Creek Golf Club in Pearland on Saturday, May 13th from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Tickets for foursomes are $500 and individual tickets are $150. For more information please contact Ryan Kirksey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PRIMETIMERS: Do your toes feel like tapping? If so, come join us this Thursday, April 20th at 11:30 a.m. in the Coffee Café. We will have a concert given by our friends the Stars and Stripes Ukulele Band. It will be a Potluck Lunch so bring something delicious. Come share the good food and fun with your friends!
WORK DAY AND BARBECUE LUNCH: Saturday, April 22nd is Earth Day! What better way to spend it than gathering with Friends and actually getting our hands into the dirt to help make our campus more beautiful? We have some low spots on the front lawn; you have probably noticed water pooling there after each heavy rain. We would like to take a day to fill those spots in, and possibly do some weeding in our front flower beds. So we need some willing workers as well as wheel barrows, rakes and shovels. We will start at 9 a.m. and finish up our work by around noon to enjoy a lunch of BBQ sandwiches. We want this to be a fun activity where you can bring the whole family and enjoy getting to know others from our congregation while you work. We will plan to have a moon walk for the kids to play in, and some sprinklers if the weather is warm. WE NEED A HEADCOUNT in order to plan the meal and also to know how much work we will be able to handle that day. If you can attend, please RSVP to the church office or to Walt Hansen (and if you can bring a wheel barrow and/or rakes, please mention that as well.) We would also love to have some help with the meal – maybe dropping off a side dish or dessert, or coming to help make iced tea and serve the meal. Please respond to Walt Hansen orJoyce Byrne if you can help with either the work day or the meal, or call the church office at 281-482-7821.