Message: David Bridges
“The Wonders of Easter”
THE FLOWERS ON THE ALTAR TODAY:Are in honor of our Lord Jesus Christ. He is risen, he is risen indeed! – From Robert and Anita Griffon
THE CHURCH OFFICE will be closed on Monday, April 22nd.
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR WAYS TO CONNECT? There is much more going on at Friendswood Friends Church than just Sunday morning worship! There are opportunities throughout the week to learn, to get to know people, and to use the gifts that God has given you to serve others. Here are some ideas for ways to get more involved:
· There are two adult Sunday school classes that meet at 9 am on Sundays – one in Friends Center, and one in the Brides’ Room. For those who have children, there are age-level classes available for them at the same time.
· The Men’s Common Prayer Group meets in David’s office on Wednesday mornings at 6:15. Talk to David Bridges for more information.
· A ladies’ prayer group meets in the Journey Room at 10 am on Mondays. Contact Joyce Byrne for information.
· Young adults meet off campus for study and fellowship on Monday evenings at 7:30. Contact Bobby Kirkpatrick for information.
· Pickleball takes place in Friends Center twice a week – the Monday evening group (7-9 pm) is for more experienced players; beginners meet at 4:30 pm on Tuesdays. Contact Janet Black for more information.
· Musicians have opportunities to use their gifts by participating in our church chorale, bell choir, or orchestra. Contact Nancy Hansen for more information.
· Volunteers are needed for many different ministries – our Tweens program for kids, Meals on Wheels, Family Promise homeless ministry, Kids’ Hope mentoring program, Ushers, Summer Sunday breakfasts, help with our church facilities, drivers for summer youth events and many more. If you would like to find a place to serve, contact the church office or one of our pastors to help find something that would be a good fit. You’ll find that along with being a blessing to others, you will also be blessed yourself by getting involved in these ministries!
· Students and children are an important part of our church family, and we have lots of great things going on for them! Contact Josiah Brown or Janet Black for more information.
PLANS ARE UNDERWAY for our “Summer Sundays” breakfasts, which will take place in the Coffee Café on Sunday mornings at 9 a.m. beginning on May 19th. For the past several summers these have provided a great time of fellowship for those who attend, as well as a delicious breakfast. This year we are trying to set up a rotation of helpers so that the same people won’t be in the kitchen every Sunday. Would you be willing to commit to helping out for a specific Sunday or two? The menus are planned in advance and the food is purchased ahead of time; so all we need is a few extra helpers between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. to help set up the serving tables, cook the food, etc. One or more of our experienced cooks will be there to be in charge and let you know what to do. If you are willing to help on one or more Sundays between May 19th and August 4th, please contact Janet Black to let her know when you are available – firstname.lastname@example.org or 281-482-7821.
REJOICE AND CELEBRATE with our graduating students! In addition to being recognized in the service, there will be a “Graduation Celebration” breakfast on May 19th from 9:00-10:00 a.m. in the Coffee Cafe before the service. Each soon-to-be high school graduate will have a table to decorate with pictures from their childhood up through senior year. This will give the congregation an opportunity to talk with students, pray for them, and offer words of encouragement. We will also be celebrating and recognizing this year’s class of “Making Disciples” graduates. Please come and enjoy this celebration breakfast on May 19th! Contact Josiah if you and your senior want a table to decorate.
ARE YOU GRADUATING from high school or college this year? We want to honor you in our special graduation bulletin on May 19th. Please contact the church office at 281-482-7821 or shannon@ friendswoodfriends.org by May 15th with the student’s name, the school that he or she will graduate from and the degree and major (for college students). High school graduates will be honored during the 10 a.m. service on May 19th along with the kids and mentors that have completed the “Making Disciples” program.
COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS for the 2019-2020 Patricia Spencer Allen Scholarship are now available. Graduating high school seniors as well as continuing undergraduate college students are invited to apply. The recipient will be chosen based on active involvement in Friendswood Friends Church, character, leadership, academic achievement, financial need and interest in Christian ministry. If you are interested in applying, stop by the church office to pick up an application packet, or you can download the forms from our church website. The deadline for submitting applications is May 1st.
DO YOU SHOP ON AMAZON? If so, please consider designating Friendswood Friends Church as your preferred charity through the “Amazon Smile” Program, and Amazon will donate .5% of your total purchase amount to the church at no extra cost to you. You can do this by following this link: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/74-1300 892 or sign up for Amazon Smile and look for Friendswood Friends Church on the list of eligible charities. Once you have designated a charity, you can access Amazon through the website smile.amazon.com instead of amazon.com, and the church will automatically receive your contribution. It’s a simple way to help support the ministries of our church at no cost to you! Contact the church office if you have questions.